What major events happened today in history (in English):
- 04 July 2009 : Former Republican United States vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin on Saturday announced that she will resign as Alaska's governor, fuelling speculation that the charismatic leader will seek presidency in 2012.
- 04 July 2010 : The Taliban will soon launch their own 'media regulatory authority' to monitor press and TV reports to prevent 'false' statements about Islam, a militant spokesman said warning that a second-time violator of its media guidelines will 'be executed'.
- 04 July 2011 : Harun Rashid Khan took over as Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India succeeding Shyamala Gopinath who retired in June 2011.
- 04 July 2012 : Government’s decision to tax Bollywood and TV actors 12 % service tax has invited the ire of many Bollywood stars like Sonam Kapoor, Arshad Warsi, producer-director Farah Khan and others who have been vocal on open forums to express their discontent.
- 04 July 2013 : Justice Adly Mahmoud Mansour, head of Egypt's Constitutional Court, has been today sworn in as interim leader of the troubled nation, hours after the powerful army removed Islamist President Mohammed Morsi. Mansour, 67, was sworn in at the Constitutional Court in a ceremony telecast live on state television.
- 04 July 2014 : A special Air India flight carrying 183 people including 46 nurses freed by insurgents in Iraq and three crew members landed safely in India. The plane reached the Kochi airport, providing a sigh of relief to the Indian government and much worried parents.
- 04 July 2015 : BJP lawmaker and actor, 66-year old ‘Dreamgirl’ Hema Malini, whose chauffeur-driven Mercedes rammed on a Maruti Suzuki Alto killing a 4-year old girl child, has been discharged from hospital after undergoing a surgery of wounds and treatment for minor nose fracture. Fortis Hospital’s spokesperson said that the actress was discharged at 9.30am IST today on the request of her family.
- 04 July 2016 : Juno spacecraft of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on 4 July 2016 successfully entered Jupiter’s orbit. Confirmation of a successful orbit insertion was received from Juno tracking data monitored at the navigation facility at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
- 04 July 1054 : The supernova SN 1054 was seen by the Arab, Chinese song dynasty and might be Amerindian observers close to the star Zeta Tauri. For many months it remained adequate bright to be seen during the day. Its leftover formed the Crab Nebula.
- 04 July 2012 : The discovery of particles concordant with the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider was declared at CERN. The Higgs boson particle is a basic particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. Observation of the particle allows scientists to dig into the Higgs field, a key field of extreme importance to particle physics theory.
- 04 July 1998 : Japan launched the Nozomi probe to Mars and joined the United States and Russia as a space exploring nation. Nozomi was planned as a Mars orbiting atmospheric probe. But it failed to achieve Mars orbit due to electrical failures. Operation was ended on 31 December 2003.
- 04 July 1997 : NASA's Pathfinder space probe landed on the surface of Mars. Mars Pathfinder was an American spacecraft that landed on a base station with a mobile probe on planet Mars in 1997. It comprised a lander which was renamed as the Carl Sagan Memorial Station and a lightweight wheeled robotic Mars rover which was named as Sojourner.
- 04 July 1918 : Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI succeeded to throne. Mehmed VI was the 36th and last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire. His reign started from 1918 to 1922. He was the brother of Mehmed V. He advanced to the throne as the eldest male member of the House of Osman after the suicide of Abdülaziz's son Yusuf Izzettin Efendi in 1916 who was the heir to the throne.
- 04 July 1903 : Dorothy Levitt was became the first English woman to take part in a 'motor race'. Dorothy Elizabeth Levitt was the first British woman to become a racing driver. The world's first Water Speed Record and the Women's World Land Speed Record were held by her. She was also an author. She was a leader of female independence and female motoring. She taught Queen Alexandra and the Royal Princesses to drive.
- 04 July 1887 : The founder of Pakistan, Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah joined Sindh-Madrasa-tul-Islam in Karachi. Sindh Madressatul Islam University is a university in Karachi in the Sindh province of Pakistan. It is a public university situated in the commercial centre of activity of Karachi.
- 04 July 1827 : New York State abolished the slavery. Slavery was a legal or economic system under which people were treated as private assets. Slaves may be bought and sold. Slaves can be held from the time of their capture, purchase or birth. The slaves were deprived of the rights such as to leave, to refuse to work or to demand compensation.
- 04 July 1776 : The Second Continental Congress adopted The United States Declaration of Independence. This declared that the thirteen American colonies at war with Great Britain, consider themselves as thirteen newly independent autonomous states, parting from the British Empire. Rather they formed a new nation called the United States of America.
- 04 July 1634 : The city of Trois Rivieres was founded in New France (present day Canada). Trois Rivieres is a city of the Mauricie administrative area of Quebec, Canada. It is located at the merging point of the Saint Lawrence Saint and Maurice Rivers, on the north edge of the Saint Lawrence River opposite to the city of Becancour.
- 04 July 2017 : Veteran journalist Ravinder Randev passed away. He was 82.
इतिहास में आज के दिन हुईं प्रमुख घटनाएं (हिन्दी में):
- 04 जुलाई 2012 : 1979 बैच के भारतीय सिविल लेखा सेवा के अधिकारी जवाहर ठाकुर को भारत के खातों का नया महानियंत्रक (सीजीए) के रूप में नियुक्त किया गया, पहले यह पद सी।आर। सुन्दरमूर्ति ने संभाल रख था।
- 04 जुलाई 2013 : 4 जुलाई 2013 को वरिष्ठ संसदीय श्रीनिवास पाटिल दादा साहब सिक्किम के नए राज्यपाल के रूप में नियुक्त किया गया था।
- 04 जुलाई 2014 : गोवा के राज्यपाल भारत वीर वांचू ने 4 जुलाई 2014 को अपने पद से इस्तीफा दे दिया।
- 04 जुलाई 2015 : नीदरलैंड की महिला हॉकी टीम ने 4 जुलाई 2015 को एंटवर्प (बेल्जियम) में आयोजित फाइनल में दक्षिण कोरिया को 2-1 से हराकर महिला हाकी विश्व लीग (एचडब्ल्यूएल) सेमीफाइनल का खिताब जीत लिया. इसके साथ ही नीदरलैंड के साथ उप-विजेता दक्षिण कोरिया और तीसरे स्थान पर रही ऑस्ट्रेलियाई टीम ने रियो ओलिंपिक-2016 के लिए क्वालीफाई कर लिया.
- 04 जुलाई 2016 : ईरान के प्रसिद्ध फिल्म निर्देशक अब्बास कियारोस्तामी का 4 जुलाई 2016 को लम्बी बीमारी के बाद पेरिस में निधन हो गया। वे 76 वर्ष के थे।
- 04 जुलाई 2017 : वरिष्ठ पत्रकार रविंद्र रानदेव का निधन हो गया। वह 82 वर्ष के थे।
Major historical events on this day (Source: Wikipedia):
- 04 July 1862 : In a rowing boat on the River Thames from Oxford to Godstow,author Lewis Carroll told Alice Liddell and her sisters a story thatwould eventually form the basis for his book Alice's Adventures inWonderland. Read more Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- 04 July 1965 : The first Annual Reminder, a series of early pickets organizedby homophile organizations, one of the earliest LGBT demonstrations inthe United States, took place at Independence Hall in Philadelphia. Read more Annual Reminder
- 04 July 1610 : Polish–Muscovite War-The outnumbered forces of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth defeated the Russians at the Battle of Klushino. Read more Battle of Klushino
- 04 July 1945 : The Brazilian cruiser Bahia was accidentally sunk by one ofits own crewmen, killing more than 300 and stranding the survivors inshark-infested waters. Read more Brazilian cruiser Bahia
- 04 July 1054 : Chinese astronomers recorded the sudden appearance of a 'gueststar', which was in actuality the supernova that created the CrabNebula. Read more Crab Nebula
- 04 July 2005 : The NASA space probe Deep Impact impacted the nucleus of thecomet Tempel 1, excavating debris from its interior so that itscomposition could be studied. Read more Deep Impact (spacecraft)
- 04 July 1855 : The first edition of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass was published, and it went on to become one of the most important collections of American poetry. Read more Leaves of Grass
- 04 July 1941 : German AB-Aktion operation in Poland: After capturing Lwów, the Nazis executed approximately 45 professors of the University of Lwów. Read more Massacre of Lviv professors
- 04 July 1976 : Israel Defense Forces raided Uganda's Entebbe InternationalAirport to free hostages taken by hijackers on Air France Flight 139. Read more Operation Entebbe
- 04 July 414 : Aelia Pulcheria proclaimed herself regent over her brotherTheodosius II and made herself Augusta and Empress of the Eastern RomanEmpire. Read more Pulcheria
- 04 July 1950 : The United States' anti-communist propaganda source Radio FreeEurope made its first broadcast aimed at Czechoslovakia. Read more Radio Free Europeadio Liberty
- 04 July 2012 : CERN announced the discovery of the Higgs boson elementaryparticle after a 40-year search for its existence. Read more Search for the Higgs boson
- 04 July 1776 : In Philadelphia, the Continental Congress adopted theDeclaration of Independence, announcing that the thirteen Americancolonies were no longer a part of the British Empire. Read more United States Declaration of Independence
- 04 July 1943 : The aircraft carrying Wladyslaw Sikorski, Prime Minister ofthe Polish government-in-exile, crashed, killing him and fifteen others,leading to several conspiracy theories. Read more W?adys?aw Sikorski's death controversy
- 04 July 1951 : William Shockley announced the invention of the junctiontransistor, for which he, John Bardeen, and Walter Houser Brattain wonthe 1956 Nobel Prize in Physics. Read more William Shockley
Browse same day in other months:
January 04| February 04 | March 04 | April 04 | May 04 | June 04 | July 04 | August 04 | September 04 | October 04 | November 04 | December 04