What major events happened today in history (in English):
- 26 June 2009 : Indian-American leader in California, Anish Mahajan, has been nominated by US First Lady Michelle Obama for the prestigious White House Fellowship for the year 2009-2010. 34-year-old Mahajan, a health services researcher, is the only Indian-American to figure in the list of 15 outstanding young men and women selected from across the United States for this fellowship.
- 26 June 2010 : Home Ministers from South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation nations discussed ways to strengthen police cooperation and other means to combat terrorism that has afflicted the region. The SAARC Interior Ministers' conference, attended by Home Minister P Chidambaram, also discussed proposals like maritime security and anti-piracy operations under the SAARC charter.
- 26 June 2011 : In yet another first for women, the government has now approved recruitment of female officers in border forces deployed along the country's eastern frontiers.
- 26 June 2012 : Union Minister Virbhadra Singh resigned in the wake of a Himachal Pradesh court framing corruption charges against him. Singh, a former H P Chief Minister, quit on moral grounds after being slapped with charges of conspiracy and corruption in a 23-year-old case
- 26 June 2013 : Kanco Enterprises Ltd has informed BSE that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held has appointed Mr. Susanta Banerjee as Additional Director of the Company pursuant to the provisions of Article 82 of the Articles of Association of the Company and in terms of the provisions of Section 260 of the Companies Act, 1956.
- 26 June 2014 : Narayanaswami Srinivasan been appointed as the chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC). Earlier, the Supreme Court had barred Srinivasan from officiating as the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in the wake of the Indian Premier League betting and match-fixing scandal.
- 26 June 2015 : PM Narendra Modi is all set to launch his ambitious pet project “Digital India” programme on 1 July. As per reports, the programme expects to bring advantages of digital services to every Indian. Reports say that the leading Indian business magnets such as Mukesh Ambani (MD and Chairman of RIL), Azim Premji (Wipro Chairman), Cyrus Mistry (Chairman of Tata Group), and Satya Nadella (CEO of Microsoft) will be present at the programme. They will also give brief messages along with presentation on revolutionalising Indian digital space.
- 26 June 2016 : Bajrangi Bhaijaan has emerged victorious at the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards 2016 with the Salman Khan-starrer winning the best picture while Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s magnum opus taking home the best director gong.
- 26 June 687 : Pope Benedict 2 was chosen. He succeeded Leo II. Although chosen in 683, he was not ordained until 684 because the permission of Emperor Constantine IV was not obtained until some months after the election. According to the Liber Diurnus Romanorum Pontificum, he obtained from the Emperor a decree which either abolished imperial confirmations altogether or made them obtainable from the Exarch of Ravenna.
- 26 June 1483 : Richard III became King of England. Richard III was King of England until his death in 1485, at the age of 32, in the Battle of Bosworth Field. He was the last king of the House of York and the last of the Plantagenet dynasty. His defeat at Bosworth Field, the last decisive battle of the Wars of the Roses, marked the end of the middle Ages in England. He is the subject of the fictional historical play Richard III by William Shakespeare.
- 26 June 1794 : French Revolutionary Wars: Battle of Fleurus marked the first successful military use of aircraft. The French use of the reconnaissance balloon l'Entreprenant marked the first military use of an aircraft that had influence on the outcome of the battle.
- 26 June 1848 : The June Days Uprising was an uprising staged by the workers of France. It was in response to plans to close the National Workshops, created by the Second Republic in order to provide work and a source of income for the unemployed; however, only low pay, dead-end jobs were provided, which barely provided enough money to survive.
- 26 June 1888 : Ghanshyam Das Birla, great freedom fighter and social reformer, was born at Pilani. Birla inherited the family business and moved to further diversify them into other areas. Of these, at least three contemporary family business groups existing in India today can trace their ancestry to Ghanshyam Das. Of these businesses, he wanted to turn the money lending business into manufacturing. So he left for Calcutta in Bengal, the world's largest jute producing region.
- 26 June 1906 : The first Grand Prix motor racing event held. The 1906 Grand Prix de l'Automobile Club de France, commonly known as the 1906 French Grand Prix, was a motor race held on 26 and 27 June 1906, on closed public roads outside the city of Le Mans. The Grand Prix was organized by the Automobile Club de France (ACF) at the prompting of the French automobile industry as an alternative to the Gordon Bennett races, which limited each competing country's number of entries regardless of the size of its industry.
- 26 June 1936 : First Initial test flight was taken by the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, the first practical helicopter. The Focke-Wulf Fw 61 is often considered the first practical, functional helicopter. It was also known as the Fa 61. It subsequently set several records for altitude, speed and flight duration culminating.
- 26 June 1945 : The United Nations Charter was signed in San Francisco. As a charter, it is a constituent treaty, and all members are bound by its articles. Furthermore, Article 103 of the Charter states that obligations to the United Nations prevail over all other treaty obligations. Most countries in the world have now ratified the Charter.
- 26 June 1960 : Madagascar gained its independence from France. Madagascar is a semi-presidential representative democratic multi-party republic, wherein the popularly elected president is the head of state and selects a prime minister, who recommends candidates to the president to form his cabinet of ministers.
- 26 June 2013 : Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani became Prime Minister of Qatar. Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani is a Qatari politician who has been Prime Minister of Qatar since 26 June 2013. A member of the ruling family, he was Minister of State for Internal Affairs from 2005 to 2013.
- 26 June 2017 : Telecom operator Bharti Airtel announced the launch of *121# Digital Care platform in 11 Indian languages, including Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil.
इतिहास में आज के दिन हुईं प्रमुख घटनाएं (हिन्दी में):
- 26 जून 2012 : कोका कोला कंपनी ने 26 जून 2012 को सन् 2020 तक भारत में 28000 करोड़ रुपये का निवेश करने की घोषणा की है।
- 26 जून 2013 : 26 जून 2013 को केंद्र सरकार ने तीन प्रमुख मेडिसिन विरोधी मधुमेह दवा पियोग्लिटाजोन, दर्द निवारक दवा एनालजिन और एंटी डैंक्सीट पर प्रतिबंध लगा दिया गया है।
- 26 जून 2014 : भारतीय क्रिकेट कंट्रोल बोर्ड (बीसीसीआई) के अध्यक्ष पद से अस्थायी रूप से निलंबित ‘एन श्रीनिवासन’ को 26 जून 2014 को अंतर्राष्ट्रीय क्रिकेट परिषद (आईसीसी) का ‘चेयरमैन’ नियुक्त किया गया। वे 29 जून 2014 को अपना पदभार संभालेंगे।
- 26 जून 2015 : रॉक बैंड येस के सह-संस्थापक और गिटारवादक क्रिस स्क्वायर का 27 जून 2015 को फीनिक्स , एरिजोना में निधन हो गया. वह 67 वर्ष के थे. वह लम्बे समय से एक्यूट एरीथ्रोआइड ल्यूकेमिया नामक कैंसर की बीमारी से पीड़ित थे. स्क्वायर 1969 से 2014 तक जारी किए गए हर एलबम में दिखाई दिए.
- 26 जून 2016 : वर्ष 2016 के आईफा (IIFA) पुरस्कारों में सलमान खान द्वारा अभिनीत और कबीर खान द्वारा निर्देशित ‘बजरंगी भाईजान’ को बेस्ट फिल्म का अवॉर्ड दिया गया। वहीं, फिल्म ‘बाजीराव मस्तानी’ के लिए रणवीर सिंह को बेस्ट एक्टर का अवॉर्ड और संजय लीला भंसाली को बेस्ट डायरेक्टर का अवॉर्ड मिला। दीपिका पादुकोण को फिल्म ‘पिकू’ के लिए बेस्ट एक्ट्रेस का अवॉर्ड दिया गया।
- 26 जून 2017 : सलमान खान अभिनीत फिल्म ‘सुल्तान’ ने शंघाई अंतर्राष्ट्रीय फिल्म महोत्सव (एसआईएफएफ) में सर्वश्रेष्ठ एक्शन फिल्म पुरस्कार जीता।
Major historical events on this day (Source: Wikipedia):
- 26 June 1906 : The 1906 French Grand Prix, the first Grand Prix motor racing competition, was held outside Le Mans. Read more 1906 French Grand Prix
- 26 June 1918 : World War I-The 26-day Battle of Belleau Wood near the Marne River in France ended with American forces finally clearing that forest of German troops. Read more Battle of Belleau Wood
- 26 June 1243 : Mongol invasions of Anatolia-Mongols achieved a decisive victory over the Seljuq Turks, leading to the decline and disintegration of the Seljuk state. Read more Battle of K%C3%B6se Da%C4%9F
- 26 June 699 : En no Gyoja, the founder of the Japanese Buddhist sect known asShugendo, was exiled to Izu Oshima for witchcraft. Read more En no Gy?ja
- 26 June 1886 : French chemist Henri Moissan reported he was able tosuccessfully isolate elemental fluorine, for which he later won theNobel Prize in Chemistry. Read more Fluorine
- 26 June 1959 : Ingemar Johansson became the only Swedish world champion ofheavyweight boxing by defeating American Floyd Patterson at YankeeStadium. Read more Ingemar Johansson
- 26 June 363 : Roman emperor Julian was killed during the retreat from hiscampaign against the Sassanid Empire. Read more Julian (emperor)
- 26 June 2006 : Mari Alkatiri, the first Prime Minister of East Timor, resigned after weeks of political unrest. Read more Mari Alkatiri
- 26 June 1295 : Przemysl II was crowned King of Poland, the first coronationof a Polish ruler in 219 years. Read more Przemys? II
- 26 June 1740 : War of Jenkins' Ear-A Spanish column of 300 regular troops,free black militia and Indian auxiliaries stormed Britain'sstrategically crucial position of Fort Mose in Spanish Florida. Read more Siege of Fort Mose
- 26 June 1945 : At a conference in San Francisco, delegates from 50 nationssigned a charter establishing the United Nations. Read more United Nations
- 26 June 1996 : Irish crime reporter Veronica Guerin was murdered while she wasstopped at a traffic light, an event which helped establish Ireland'sCriminal Assets Bureau. Read more Veronica Guerin
Browse same day in other months:
January 26| February 26 | March 26 | April 26 | May 26 | June 26 | July 26 | August 26 | September 26 | October 26 | November 26 | December 26